Here in Middle East, spring is for a brief time period. To go about with the Spring Cakes theme i picked up a very nice recipe of Lemon Cake from Martha Stewart. A plain cake has always been a great combination with evening tea and whats better if it has a burst of freshly squeezed lemon juice and zest. The moistness and lightness of this cake is owed to yogurt which is my favourite ingredient in cakes. To give it a 'spring-y' look i made candied flowers from lemon peel which didnt turn out very good but they were not that bad. Here is how it goes:
Butter 1 cup
Castor sugar 2 cups
Baking powder 1/2 tsp
Baking soda 1/2 tsp
Juice and Zest of 2 lemons
Low fat yogurt 3/4 cup
Lemon essence (optional) few drops
Flour 3 cups
- Beat butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs one at a time and continue beating.
- Add zest, juice and essence in yogurt.
- Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Alternately add flour and yogurt in three steps while beating on a very low speed until everything is incorporated.
- Pour in 2 greased loaf tins .
- Bake in a pre-heated oven on gas mark 4 for 40-60 minutes until golden brown.