Sunday, March 24, 2013

Sweet and Tangy Lemon Tarts

Its been a while again. Lot of pictures waiting for their turns to get blogged. I love baking, decorating, party planning (see my latest venture here and here), blogging, food photography. I would love to implement lot of pipeline projects like blog re-design and try some dishes, write some tutorials. On the other hand I am a full-time mom. So sometimes many things take a back seat and its just kids and home and business. I hope and pray that I fulfill my main responsibility as a mother now and every other thing will fall back into its place later and will be completed in due time. 



This recipe is a very old tart very popular in Pakistan bakeries and is my mom's favorite. So when she was visiting me recently, I made it for her.It is a very handy no fuss dessert ideal for picnics and bbqs. Although the base is nearly perfect, I would like the filling consistency to be more thick enough to be able to pipe. May be a little more corn flour or lemon pastry cream with egg yolks. I will keep this posted once I figure it out.

Sweet and Tangy Lemon Tarts
Recipe source - Shireen Anwar, from a very popular Pakistani TV channel Ingredients
Base
Butter cold but soft,cubes 4 ounces or 4 tbsp
Castor sugar 5 tbsp or 2 1/2 ounces
Vanilla essence a few drops
Egg yolk 1
Flour 6 ounces or 12 tbsp

Filling
Vanilla Custard 1 tbsp
Corn flour 1 tbsp
Water 1/2 cup
Egg yolks 2
Yellow color a few drops
Sugar 1/2 cup
Lemon juice 2 tbsp
Butter 1 tbsp

Method
Base
1. To make the base, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add in the egg and essence.
2. Rub in the flour to make a dough. Do not over mix else it will make the base chewy rather than crispy.
3. Roll out on lightly floured surface and cut 15 three inches rounds with a cookie cutter.
4. Line in 2.5 inch muffin pan.
5. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350 F for about 20 minutes until golden.

Filling
1. To prepare the filling, place all the ingredients in a sauce pan except butter and lemon juice.
2. Whisk gently on medium flame until it comes together and thickens.
3. Add in lemon juice and butter.
4. Let it cool before filling the cases. Dot with strawberry jam.

Makes about 15. Can be refrigerated.



3 comments:

  1. Hmmm looking yummy. I must try it. welcome back its nice to see you after a while. stay blessed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice easy recipe

    ReplyDelete

Sharing is caring

Related Posts with Thumbnails